Posts

Showing posts from November, 2009

JoinDomain VMExtensionProvisioningError when deploying WVD (aka Conflict Error)

Deploying WVD Fails with a conflict error and when clicking for more information it presents a conflict and not much else that is useful by way of toubleshooting. Hopefully this helps someone else as it had me head scratching for a little while.. When creating the Host Pool, make sure that you haven't made the fatal error of using the Azure Active Directory Credential INSTEAD of the Local AD Domain Credential.  i.e do not use USER@m365xxxxx.onmicrosoft.com to domain join, even if it links back to the domain - this is where the conflict arrises.    Instead, use your full internal domain UPN.  USER@prefix.domain.co.uk  Re-deploy your same configuration and you should find it goes through now without any problems. Additional findings.... Albeit my mistake above was an easy one, it does appear the error is directly linked to the domain join process. If you go into your resource groups, locate the session host and MSTSC directly to it.  Try the domain join pr

Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. MAPI32.DLL is corrupt or the wrong

I installed Office 2003 from a disk and couldnt open Outlook after some issues with Access. The error was as below: Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. MAPI32.DLL is corrupt or the wrong version. This could have been caused by installing other messaging software. Please reinstall Outlook. Reinstallation does not work so I'll save everyone some time here hopefully, the only resolution I've seen and used here is to rename a simple file at the following path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033 Which is MSMAPI32.DLL. Please, please, please don't rename MAPI32.DLL this wont work, it is MSMAPI32.DLL just simply change the extension and it will 9/10 times be sorted. Did I solve your problem? Buy me a virtual beer by clicking on a Google ad :). Thanks!

SBS 2008 hangs on Applying Computer Settings

I have to admit, out of all server installs I have ever done, I have probably had one of the worst experiences ever recently with 2008 SBS. I thought I would blog about this problem simply because I was in a mess and I'm sure anyone else in this scenario would want to get out of it just as quickly as I did! My Scenario At first the clients were complaining that the Exchange was down, I noticed that the store service wasnt running so quite rightly I tried to start it but it wasnt having any of it. I went to Event Viewer and it had items like "Cannot connect to Active Directory" and "Exchange topology not starting" amongst many others. My most stupid mistake at this point was to reboot the server which is where I ended up watching a spinning wheel at "Applying Computer Settings". I couldnt think what it was until I found that it could be affected by IPv6 at which point it became clear that this definately was the problem, I had turned it off the d

Sophos Anti Virus not updating (could not contact server)

I found quite a neat little trick, whether or not the following technical processes are by design I dont know but I assure you this has worked for me loads of times. If you see Sophos Anti Virus with a red shield in it, first thing I used to do is rename the Cache folder in Program Files and then click update. Job done, it updates we can all go home with a smile on our faces. What I noticed recently was that this didnt fix the problem at all, it generally made a bit more of a mess. So, if you find that the Cache folder has an update in there (Usually 68Mb+) Navigate to: C:\Program Files\Sophos\AutoUpdate\cache\savxp and click Install Sophos Anti Virus, this will run you through a quick WinInstaller and then update the program. You will probably have to reboot at this point, you can choose to reboot, usually I just log off ;) (As im sure most IT pro's do) Finally just re-enter the update credentials into the Sophos program and re-check for updates. Works like a charm